Third Reflection

The majority of my more memorable online learning experiences have been when I’ve become interested in a hobby or topic, and take it upon myself to find as much information as I can.  This has included looking up information about how headphones work, digging into the world of numismatics, exploring the developments of a certain groundbreaking electronic vehicle company, or most recently, my quest to understand home-theatre setups, and how to build one from scratch.  I’m a bit of a techy, and have a certain appreciation for AV equipment and good cinema, so when the chance to go from a simple soundbar to a full surround sound system presented itself I jumped at the opportunity!  I’d found some high quality

Speaker surround and cone
Picture taken by me.

speakers listed for free pickup because the surrounds had deteriorated, and I was sure I could fix them.  If you’re wondering what a surround is, it’s the foam circle around a speaker cone, and can be seen in the picture to the left.  But now I found myself with speakers, and no way to plug them in, and so I began to do research regarding how to complete a surround sound setup, and discovered a world I had known to be deep and complex, but was much more so than I had imagined.

First off, since I had picked up a set of passive speakers (un-powered), I apparently would need an amp or receiver to power

Receiver back
Receiver front

them.  Now an amp simply provides power, while a receiver is the intermediary of a home theatre setup, having IO for all audio and visuals.  I needed the latter.  But a receiver can be very confusing to look at, and there are many different types, prices, and features.  With speaker setups there are a variety of formats, each of which has their pros and cons: 2.0, 5.1, 7.1, Dolby Atmos.  I researched the different forms and settled on 5.1 as the format that would work the best with my space, desires, and budget.  I then had to find a receiver that would work, and be powerful enough to drive my speakers, add additional speakers, since a 5.1 system requires 6 speakers, and figure out the best way to put it all together.

For my research I used a variety of tools.  I looked up tutorial videos and informational videos on Youtube, I looked up answers to specific questions on reddit, as well as a variety of opinion pieces, debates, and other fun stuff.  I found specifications and reviews for specific devices and products on retailer websites like Bestbuy and Amazon as well.  I find video to be an excellent medium for myself.  I’ll often watch them as breaks from tasks (like homework), or while working on menial chores (dishes, vacuuming).  They allow me to disconnect from my task, and enjoy hearing about how someone else is passionate about a certain topic.  Reddit is a medium that offers humanization of the learning experience for me.  It’s a discussion of a variety of people, some more informed than others, and some more opinionated.  It allows everyone to be on an equal standing, and give their opinion on a topic, and lends a transparency to what you’re learning.  You see past the facts and figures to the real life scenarios, the ways things can go wrong, and so on.  Youtube is able to offer this as well, but to a lesser extent, as it is often more edited and what you see is more controlled.

Below are a few different sets of surround speakers, as well as a diagram of a typical 5.1 setup.

“Bass Coffee Table” by Brendan Crawford is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0

This type of learning is fun for me, and I find picking up little hobbies can be quite rewarding.  Despite none of the resources I used costing any money, I still was able to come away quite informed.  However, due to many varying opinions, I did have to apply a level of discernment regarding contrary information or opinions.  I know this learning method is not ideal for many, however I believe it’s an excellent way to acquire new knowledge and apply it at the same time.